Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Egg Sausage Casserole

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Years!  I think we’re ready to get back into the groove with posting recipes.  I wanted to start with a recipe for the egg casserole that our family had for breakfast every Christmas growing up (well they still have it every year).  It is so delicious and you throw it together the night before so Christmas morning you can just pop it in the oven and enjoy the festivities.  I made it for the first time this year and it was surprisingly easy and tasted SO good.  It smells delicious as it cooks as well.

IMG_4925

Egg Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:
1 dozen eggs
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1 pound link sausage
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 bottle (2 oz.) sliced mushrooms
8 slices texas toast bread (or enough to cover the bottom of dish)
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 small can diced green chiles
3 green onions chopped (with green part too)
salt
pepper
1/4 cup milk

Directions:
Brown sausage and cut into one-inch pieces.  Remove crust from bread.  Butter a 9x13 dish and line with bread.  Cover bread with cheese and sausage.
Beat eggs then stir in salt, pepper, mustard, milk, green onions, and chiles.  Pour over bread, cheese and sausage.  Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Dilute mushroom soup with 1/4 cup milk.  Add mushrooms and pour on top of casserole.  Bake, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.

Notes:
--I used precooked sausage to save time and it tasted delicious, but it would probably be cheaper to cook it yourself.
--I halved this recipe and did it in a 8x8 pan since there were only 3 of us eating it and it worked out great.
--My dad was always generous on the amount of cheese since we love cheese in our family.
--It doesn’t need very much salt if any since the cheese and sausage are salty…I just used a small dash (less than I would put for scrambled eggs).
--I recently made this for a shower and didn't have any cream of mushroom soup, so I used cream of chicken and it tasted the same.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...