Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicken Chalupas

This is a favorite recipe from my childhood.  I make it frequently since it’s really easy and requires ingredients I usually have on hand.  Besides, it’s delicious!

Dinners 017

Chicken Chalupas
Ingredients:
3-4 cooked chicken breasts (depending on size), cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup
4 oz. can diced green chiles
sour cream (about 1 cup)
3-4 green onions chopped or 1/4 onion, grated
black olives (optional)
grated cheddar cheese
6-8 flour tortillas

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine cream of chicken soup, green chiles, and sour cream.  Remove a small portion of sauce (about 1/2 cup) mix in about 1/4 can (soup can) milk and set aside.  To remaining sauce add chicken, green onion, and olives if you’re using them. 

To assemble spoon some meat mixture on tortilla. Sprinkle a small handful of cheese on top and roll up.  Place seam down in a 9x13 pan.  Once all are assembled, pour remaining sauce over the top and spread to cover all chalupas.  Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.

Green Chile Casserole
For the casserole version follow the same directions up until assembly (my mom never uses olives in her casserole).  Then in a casserole dish layer 1/4 of the meat mixture, tortilla, and cheese repeating 4 times and ending with a tortilla, set aside sauce and cheese on top.  Bake for about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until bubbly.

PS-I’m not sure why we call these chalupas as I’ve never seen chalupas like these anywhere :).

Notes
:
--Corn tortillas can be used instead of flour.
--Sour cream is also technically optional (not for me).  If you don’t use sour cream add about 1/3 can (soup can) of milk to the meat mixture to make a better sauce.
--When I make this for our family, since there are only three of us eating, I use 1-2 chicken breasts (depending on size) and I use a little less sour cream.  That way it makes about 4 chalupas (I use an 8x8 pan) or a small casserole.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...