Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Daddy’s Waffles

When I told my husband that this would be my first recipe to post he said, “You can’t post that!  Isn’t it a secret family recipe?”  I laughed and told him that though it is good enough to be a secret recipe, my Dad is very willing to give this recipe to anyone.  My dad would give credit to Better Homes and Gardens for this recipe, but he has changed the recipe so much that it’s safe to call it his recipe.   These are by far my favorite waffles.  They’re crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.  Pretty much, they taste like home to me.   


Daddy’s Waffles
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (separated)
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup oil
1-2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
Grease and preheat waffle iron (I use cooking spray).

Get out three bowls (small, medium, and large).  In the large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 

Separate the eggs placing the whites in the small bowl and the yolks in the medium bowl.  To the yolks add milk, oil and vanilla.

Using a hand mixer whip up the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.  Then move the mixer over to the medium bowl and mix until combined (you don’t have to clean the beaters between because it’s all going together soon).

Pour medium bowl into flour mixture in the large bowl and whisk until combined (will still be a little lumpy).  Next, very gently fold in egg whites.  You should still see egg white lumps (this is what makes them fluffy).

The amount of batter you will need to use per waffle will depend on your waffle iron size.  Pour enough batter to spread out across iron and cook until golden brown.  My waffle iron has a light that goes out when it’s done but I think mine takes about 5 minutes.   Make sure they’re dark golden, that’s when they’re the best. 


Notes:
--This recipe works best on a traditional waffle iron rather than a belgian waffle iron.  Traditional waffle irons are actually quite hard to find in stores.  We ended up buying one online because these waffles mean that much to me :).
--The first waffle won’t turn out very good.  It’s a given fact regardless of what recipe you’re using.  My Dad would give the first waffle to the dog.  Always.  We never ate the first waffle. 
--My Dad will often times add other things to the batter.   He adds  a little cinnamon most of the time.  Blueberries are also a delicious addition.  I make blueberry ones about half of the time.  Plain is my favorite though.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...