Monday, October 25, 2010

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I can't think of a better recipe to start this blog with than our Mom's chocolate chip cookie recipe.  This was the first recipe I ever memorized.  I have, on occasion, strayed and used other recipes, but I always come back to this one in the end!


Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together butter and both types of sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add baking soda and salt and briefly mix together. Add flour and mix until combined.  Finally, add chocolate chips and mix.  Take a spoonful of dough and give it a taste (unless you're afraid of the raw eggs, of course).  There's not much better than cookie dough!

Drop cookie dough by the spoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden and soft set.  Allow to cool for 2-5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.

Notes:
--I like to use dark brown sugar in my cookies.  It seems to give the cookies a richer flavor.
--Always use real vanilla.  I know that America's Test Kitchen claims that in cookies it doesn't make a difference, but I really think it does.
--My favorite cookie sheets are actually jelly roll pans.  I recommend some type of light colored metal, rimmed sheet.
--You can use any type of chocolate chips or a combination with this recipe.  I really love using white chocolate chips every now and again.

Enjoy!
-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...