Monday, December 13, 2010

Creamy One Pot Pasta

This is a very flavorful and easy dish.  It comes together in one pot which is always nice, and the pasta cooks in chicken broth which makes it really flavorful. I’m always on the look out for dishes without meat that also feel complete and this is one.  Don’t get me wrong, I love meat, but meatless meals are sure cheaper and easier.  I’m grateful to my sister-in-law, Heather for introducing me to this recipe!

IMG_4862

Creamy One Pot Pasta
From Heather

Ingredients:
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
3 cans (5 and 1/4 cups) chicken broth
1 lb. uncooked pasta (I used bow tie)*
1 head broccoli (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
grated parmesan

Directions:
Cook garlic in 1 tbsp. oil in a large pot for a minutes or until fragrant. Add broth, cover, and bring to boil. Stir in pasta, cover and cook for 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile, chop broccoli and carrots and pepper. Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add veggies, cheese, salt and pepper to pot. and stir until cream cheese is melted (do not drain pasta). Reduce heat, cover and cook 4-5 minutes or until vegetables and noodles are tender.

Notes:
--I put a little extra carrots because I love them.
--Depending on how soft you like you veggies, alter how much time you cook your noodles before adding the veggies.  If you like you veggies kind of crisp, cook noodles for a little longer before adding veggies and the opposite if you like them really soft.
--The original recipe called for a jar of sun dried tomatoes rather than red bell pepper, but since they’re expensive and I like peppers I changed that. I think you can pretty much put in whatever veggies you like.
--This makes a lot of food.  I usually half the recipe when I’m cooking just for my family (3 of us eating) and we still have some leftovers.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...