Monday, November 8, 2010

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

I have always loved mashed potatoes.  And it's no wonder, with the mashed potatoes that my dad makes!  My mouth starts watering the second I think about them.  Because my dad's mashed potatoes are so good, though, it kept me from ever making them myself for many years.  I just knew they wouldn't add up!  Earlier this year, though, I realized that if I didn't figure out how to make good mashed potatoes someday I would be depriving myself and my family of the joy of one of my favorite foods. I wouldn't want to do that, now, would I?

I finally realized (after several failed attempts) that I wouldn't be able to replicate the mashed potatoes my dad makes.  Instead, I decided to come up with my own recipe that is delicious in its own right.  I am pleased to tell you that I have been successful!  Now I don't dread making mashed potatoes, because I know they will be delicious and creamy.


Creamy Mashed Potatoes


Ingredients:
5 pounds russet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
4 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup milk or half and half
1 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash and peel the potatoes.  Cut them into roughly uniform chunks, and place them in a big pot.  Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil on the stove.  Once the potatoes have come to a full boil, allow them to cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until they are quite tender.  Drain potatoes and return them to the pot (off the heat).  Cut butter and cream cheese into roughly one tablespoon sized pieces, and add them to the pot.  Add milk, garlic salt, and salt and pepper.  Using an electric mixer, mix the potatoes until creamy.  Add a little milk if needed to reach desired consistency.  Taste and adjust spices as needed.  Heat through over the stove or in an oven safe bowl in the oven on low heat before serving, if needed.

Notes:
--When cooking potatoes, smaller pieces will cook faster.  But be careful how small you cut them, because if they are too small they will just dissolve into the water.
--Cutting the potatoes uniformly is the key to them cooking evenly.  If the potatoes aren't cooked evenly, then you will end up with lumps.
--I think the secret to the creaminess of these potatoes is the cream cheese.  Because of that, you can cut back on the fat a little bit by using regular milk instead of half and half or cream.

Enjoy!
-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...