Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is a recipe that I found in a recipe book of Brian’s that his sister gave to him when he was going out to college.  I figured that if it was a recipe that a freshman guy could make, then I certainly could find success with it.  Not only is it easy but it’s very flavorful and moist. 

IMG_4390

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Lemon pepper or black pepper
garlic powder
salt
1/2 c. cornstarch
2 eggs
Sauce:
1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
Pound chicken breasts until a uniform thickness (I like to stretch my chicken so I usually pound them out a little thinner).  Cut chicken into smaller pieces (I usually cut one breast into 3 or 4 pieces depending on size).

Mix sauce and set aside.  Mix batter (pepper, garlic, salt, cornstarch, eggs). Dip chicken pieces into batter, fry in oil until golden brown.  Place chicken in baking pan and pour sauce over chicken. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Turn over once during baking.  Serve with rice (I like to make a simple fried rice).

Notes:
--This recipe fills a 8x8 pan.  I would estimate that it serves 4.
--Don’t be afraid to be somewhat generous with the spices in the batter.  It gives the breading flavor.
--The breading tends to fall off pretty easily, so I try to be gentle when flipping.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...