Monday, November 15, 2010

Grandma’s Baked Chicken

I call this chicken recipe my Grandma’s because she would make it all the time and whenever I eat it, it reminds me of her.  She was all about comfort food.  She enjoyed providing delicious meal for her family.  I love this recipe because it is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made, but at the same time it tastes like it took a lot of work.  It makes an absolutely delicious gravy that is ready to serve out of the oven.  I love that when I make this recipe, my house smells like my Grandma’s house.  I took a picture before and after I cooked it because I think the chicken looks pretty with the bacon wrapped around it.

IMG_4451 

IMG_4458

Grandma’s Baked Chicken
Adapted from Heritage Cookbook

Ingredients:
8-12 slices of bacon
4-6 chicken breasts, halved
2 cups sour cream
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Directions:Roll bacon around each breast half.  Fasten with a toothpick if needed (I usually just fold the bacon under) and place in 9x13 pan.  In small bowl stir together sour cream and soup. Pour over chicken.  Bake at 300 degrees for 2-3 hours.  Serve gravy on the side and/or over mashed potatoes.

Notes:-- The original recipe said to cook it at 250 degrees for 3 to 4 hours. I don’t usually have that time and so I have changed the recipe to be hotter for a shorter amount of time.  Whatever you have time for.
--When I made it last night I used 2 very large chicken breast and cut each into 3 pieces.  I put it into a 8X8 pan and halved the sauce and it served 4.  It’s easy to change the amount depending on how many people you’re serving.
-- The gravy tastes awesome over mashed potatoes.  I also pour extra gravy over my meat.  Just remove chicken from baking dish and pour gravy into a gravy dish (or a glass liquid measuring cup if you’re like me and don’t have a gravy dish).

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...